Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Charity Knitting

Thoughout the past year or so I've been knitting for various Charities, most of them being the Oddball Blankets from my knitting forum on KnittingHelp.com. (LOVE that site, by the way -- awesome 'how to' videos.)

The way the Oddball Blankets work, one knitter in the group starts a blanket, and chooses any color, any pattern. They then knit for about 3". When they are finished with their section, they mail it to the next person on the list who in turn chooses any color, any pattern. It's a great way to clean up your stash, since you don't need that much yarn to complete your section. You probably have enough in a leftover color to do it.

The Adult sized blankets seemed to take me a LONG time to finish - I think there were 300 stitches per row, 3" long. Then I saw the same idea (on the same forum) for Oddball Baby Blankets. Wow, much easier to complete my section on that size! I think there are 100 stitches per row, and you knit for 4". There are 6 knitters on each of those. I've done two so far, have one here I'm working on, am in line for one, and am starting one. Whew!

It is so fulfilling to work on them - who doesn't have time to knit just 4"? Even with my busy/crazy schedule, I can sneak these in. After the last knitter finishes the section, they can then add a crochet border, or send it to someone who can. Then, finally, after all that love has gone into the blankets, they get sent to the woman who originated the idea in the first place. She collects about 10 at a time, and delivers them to a children's hospital in her area. Childrens Mercey Hospital, Kansas City MO.

Here are some pictures of what I've worked on so far:

I will post a pictures from when I received it in the mail, with my section, and also the completed blanket.

PEPPY PASTELS:

NEON FUN:
Oops, I forgot to take a picture of Neon Fun when I received. My section is the Yellow section.

RAINBOW SHERBET:

When I add my section, I will post in an updated blog.

No comments: